This easy rhubarb recipe is just one of the ways I enjoy our rhubarb. For as long as I can remember, my father and grandparents have always had rhubarb growing at their home. One of the first plants we planted when we purchased our home was rhubarb. We now have two large rhubarb plants and each year they seem to come back bigger and stronger than the year before. Rhubarb is a perennial and it is one of the first edibles we have on our property. Since our rhubarb plant keeps getting bigger and bigger each year, I always looking for a new, easy rhubarb recipe that my family will enjoy. This Rhubarb Blueberry Sauce recipe is one of my favorites. Sometimes I will make a plain rhubarb and sometimes I will substitute strawberries for the blueberries. It really all depends on what I have on hand and what is the most affordable at the grocery store or the farmer’s market. You can easily pick your rhubarb, chop it into one inch pieces and then freeze it in containers until you need it. That way you can enjoy it with a variety of different fruits from spring to fall.
Easy Rhubarb Recipe – Rhubarb Blueberry Sauce
- 3 cups of chopped rhubarb
- ½ cup granulated white sugar
- ½ cup water
- ½ to 1 cup of blueberries
- In a large sauce pan, add the chopped rhubarb, granulated and the water and bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes until the rhubarb softens and gets tender. Stir occasionally.
- Add the blueberries and continue to cook until they are soft and it looks like a sauce.
- Serve warm or cold over vanilla ice cream. You can also freeze it to enjoy during the rest of the year.
It’s also delicious serviced with sweetened ricotta cheese. What is your favorite easy rhubarb recipe?