Learning how to clean out a refrigerator naturally is not only better for the environment, it is much cheaper than relying on chemical based cleaners. The thought of spraying chemical based cleaners all over the surface that I store my food in isn’t one I like. After all, I set things like fruits and vegetables directly on the refrigerator shelf. If I have sprayed the shelf with cleaning solution loaded with chemicals, that means the chemicals are all over my food. Thankfully, I learned how to clean out a refrigerator naturally.
How To Clean Out A Refrigerator Naturally
The best time to clean out the refrigerator is the day before you go grocery shopping. Take out everything that is no longer good like leftovers you were going to use but never did. Check the expiration dates on all of your sauces and condiments. Make sure you wash out and recycle as many of the empty containers as you can. While you’re doing this, make a note of anything you need to buy at the grocery store.
- If you can get to the back of the refrigerator, unplug it and then vacuum out the coils on the back. This will help it run more efficiently and save you money. If your refrigerator is stuck in a tiny hole in the kitchen like mine is, you will have to skip this step.
- Take everything out of the refrigerator.
- Mix 2 cups of hot water and 2 tablespoons of baking soda in a bucket. Using a sponge, wipe down the sides and each shelf moving from the top to the bottom.
- If you have food that is stuck on, make a paste with baking soda and a tiny bit of water and use a non-scratch sponge to scrub lightly until it comes off.
- Dry off the shelves when they are clean.
- Wipe down the bottoms of the bottles and containers before you put them back. This saves tons of time next time.
- Take what’s left of the box of baking soda and put it in the refrigerator with today’s date. Replace in one month when you do this again. This helps keep the odors out of the refrigerator.
Head over to this post if you’d like to learn more about how I clean naturally.Powered by Sidelines