This post may be sponsored and may contain affiliate links. Full disclosure follows the post if it has.

DIY Sugar Scrub Instructions #TBCcrafters

Learning how to make a DIY sugar scrub was one of the first homemade bath and body products that I learned to make.  Making a DIY sugar scrub is very easy and does not require special ingredients or special tools and materials.  Most people already have the ingredients to make a DIY sugar scrub in their pantry. Using sugar scrubs and other types of bath and body products helps me relax at the end of a long, stressful day. I don’t really want to spend a ton of money on products on the store when I can make a preservative free, all natural alternative at home easily.

DIY Sugar Scrub

DIY Sugar Scrub

Materials

• 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup white granulated sugar
  • 1/3 to 1/2 cup olive oil (adjust to the right consistency)
  • a few drops of essential oil of your choice

Directions

DIY Sugar Scrub

1. I don’t normally measure the ingredients. I mix the white granulated sugar and the brown sugar with the olive oil until the consistency looks like the sugar scrubs that I buy in the store. You want it to hold together but not be dripping with oil. Mix the ingredients together until it is a consistency you like. You can make more or less of this DIY sugar scrub by adjusting the amounts.
  2. Add a few drops of essential oil of your choice into the DIY sugar scrub until it smells pleasant but not overpowering.  Lavender is relaxing.  Rose is romantic. Eucalyptus or orange are invigorating.  My personal favorite is lavender essential oil.
  3. Store in a glass jar with a lid.  There are no preservatives in this so if you do not use it all in one day, please remember to store it in the refrigerator to prevent the growth of bacteria.
  4. You can make your own label for the DIY sugar scrub if you’d like to give it as a gift and then present it tied in a cellophane bag tied up with a pretty ribbon.  Or, you can do like I’m doing and enjoy it all yourself for a relaxing evening after a long day.

DIY Sugar Scrub

About Ellen Christian

Ellen is a busy mom of two teenagers who left the corporate world in 2008 to focus on a more eco-friendly life. She lives in rural Vermont where she juggles family, two blogs and a career in social media.

Comments

1. Looks easy and yummy!  Can’t wait to see how it is on the dry skin of my legs.  I hate winter skin and this looks like an easy help!

2. my dry and scratchy winter skin could seriously use this!

3. Mary @raising dick and Jane says:

Looks nice but whats it used for and how do you use it? I’ve never heard of a sugar scrub. Pretty pictures though ;)

• Ellen Christian says:

LOL a sugar scrub is used as an exfoliator to remove dead skin & soften your skin.  The same as a salt scrub :)

4. Oh yeah, I am huge fan of DIY home remedies, when I run out, I’m making my own from now one! LOVE!

5. Love it!! On my “make soon” list!! Pinned & Tweeted!!

6. Love this one! I love sugar scrub and never think that I can just use these simple ingredients to make it. Thanks.

7. Thanks for posting…I may try this.

8. This looks so easy. Plus it looks good enough to eat. LOL

9. Jennifer Johansen says:

Make soon?  Make tonight!  :D

10. This looks so simple and I have all the ingredients on hand. I think I will make a batch tonight and see how it works for me. Thanks for this post.

11. Sarah Park says:

This looks so easy and I love the idea that all the ingredients can be found in the kitchen and there are no special instructions needed.

12. I never thought about making my own scrub. Adding this to the list for Mother’s Day.

13. I assume when you say olive oil that you mean light olive oil and not extra virgin olive oil. Also, is one sugar better over another and lastly, could you use vegetable oil or another kind of oil if you didn’t have olive oil, such as coconut oil or anything like that?

• Ellen Christian says:

I used an extra virgin olive oil because that is what I had. I would guess you could use a light olive oil. I like the way brown & white sugars work together but you could try all white. I don’t think all brown would have the same results since it is not as rough as white sugar.  I haven’t ever used anything besides olive oil in my scrubs but it couldn’t hurt to make a small batch and try.

14. Vicki Howes says:

I’ve got to try this one!

15. This sounds so easy – what a great diy gift to give friends on their B-days or just because!

Trackbacks

1. [...] I find that the quality ones are not cheap. Our friends atConfessions of an Overworked Mom has a great recipe for homemade Sugar Scrub (click here for instructions!) that looks [...]