Learning how to make a DIY sugar scrub was one of the first homemade bath and body products that I learned to make. Making a DIY sugar scrub is very easy and does not require special ingredients or special tools and materials. Most people already have the ingredients to make a DIY sugar scrub in their pantry. Using sugar scrubs and other types of bath and body products helps me relax at the end of a long, stressful day. I don’t really want to spend a ton of money on products on the store when I can make a preservative free, all natural alternative at home easily.
DIY Sugar Scrub
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white granulated sugar
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup olive oil (adjust to the right consistency)
- a few drops of essential oil of your choice
- I don’t normally measure the ingredients. I mix the white granulated sugar and the brown sugar with the olive oil until the consistency looks like the sugar scrubs that I buy in the store. You want it to hold together but not be dripping with oil. Mix the ingredients together until it is a consistency you like. You can make more or less of this DIY sugar scrub by adjusting the amounts.
- Add a few drops of essential oil of your choice into the DIY sugar scrub until it smells pleasant but not overpowering. Lavender is relaxing. Rose is romantic. Eucalyptus or orange are invigorating. My personal favorite is lavender essential oil.
- Store in a glass jar with a lid. There are no preservatives in this so if you do not use it all in one day, please remember to store it in the refrigerator to prevent the growth of bacteria.
- You can make your own label for the DIY sugar scrub if you’d like to give it as a gift and then present it tied in a cellophane bag tied up with a pretty ribbon. Or, you can do like I’m doing and enjoy it all yourself for a relaxing evening after a long day.