This Cranberry Walnut Scones Recipe is perfect for Valentine’s Day or any day that you want to make a special breakfast. Scones are an English or Scottish breakfast treat that are similar to a biscuit but usually contain dried fruits or nuts. They are slightly sweeter than a biscuit but not as sweet as many typical American breakfast treats. I chose dried cranberries because of the red color and will be making these on Valentine’s Day morning. However, you could easily use any type of dried fruit including raisins, chopped apricots, dates or even citrons.
Scones Recipe – Cranberry Walnut Scones
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ¾ cup (1½ sticks) butter, chilled & diced
- 1 cup dried sweetened cranberries (Craisins)
- ½ cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- ½ to 1 cup half and half, divided
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 375F. Spray mini scone pan or line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix flour and baking powder. Cut in butter with pastry cutter until mixture resembles a coarse meal.
- Add cranberries and walnuts.
- Add half and half and lemon juice slowly mixing regularly until dough comes together.
- Fill mini scone pan or form into two rounds and cut each into 6 wedges.
- Bake 15-20 minutes or until golden and tester comes out clean.
Scones are believed to have originated in the early 1500s and are traditionally triangular shaped. In Scotland they are often made with oat flour but can also be made with wheat or barley flour as well. Normally, scones are sweet however they can be made savory with additions of cheese, finely chopped onions and crumbled bacon. Traditionally, scones are served with tea as the main part of a Devonshire tea. A Devonshire tea involves splitting your scone in half and covering it with clotted cream and strawberry jam and is a British tradition dating back to the eleventh century. I find using a mini scones pan helps keep them uniform in size and shape. Have you ever tried a scones recipe before? What did you put in yours.
Stop by the rest of the blogs that have linked up below for more delicious Valentine’s Day recipes!Powered by Sidelines